Sex Feed AND Craigdarroch Castle, Victoria, BC, Canada


Me and Vicky in a staring contest.



I'm still working on Sex Feed while I'm away and today I had New info study in which 1300 Guatemalans were infected with STDs  and Chaz Bono  to be on Dancing with the Stars. Never watched the show but since he'll be on it, I'll get on it.

Speaking of Chazes we love I'm writing my stories across from Chas Martin who is writing his stories, so it's 1984 at the Valencia paper all over again. Chas is not only one of my most beloved friends, he's also interviewed in Crazy Little Thing: Why Love and Sex Drive Us Mad. I've been quoting Chas for years; finally I formalized it and put his warmth and brilliance, at least some of it, in print.


I'm staying with Chas and his wife Heather in Victoria, BC Canada, for an extended, refreshing break and  can't think of the last time I said "I"m soooooo happy," this many times in a day. The weather is perfect (sunny and between 55-75 degrees F every day), the company stellar, the beer and food have been so good I've often become mute with pleasure (the fish & chips Fairfield's today were especially worth shutting up for) and there seem to be at least 200 or so flowers everywhere I look. Today we went to Craigdorrach Castle, built by Vancouver coal magnate Robert Dunsmuir between 1887-1890 and a more bewitching example of Victorian living (the period and the city) I can't imagine. Tons of photos...here are a few highlights.

For someplace as David Lynchian as Craigdarroch (as Chas points out, he must make a movie here) there aren't, from what I understand, many tales of hauntings there. And yet here we have a headless maid serving lunch. In order to present the idea of people and servants, and to present the clothing they wore, the proprietors have made the interesting decision to use mannequins, most of which are headless, but those with heads are always facing away from the viewer, giving you a seriously Norman-Bates'-mom sense of the creeps.








The full dance card of a Victorian lady.







I love the stone pillar of the castle with the window out to the modern city. I'm so happy.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad