What's Hot in CF: Gothic Folk, Facts of Life and Buddha's Birthday!




I’ve been luxuriating in the Addams Family weather we’ve been having though hopefully it will clear up just enough fr you to want to go out because there’s lots to do. Listen for me at 4:32 PM today on WMFE for What’s Hot in Central Florida including Buddha’s Birthday Party at the Guant Ming Temple, Mrs. Garrett and the girls in The Facts of Life at the Breakthrough Theatre in Winter Park and Gothic Folk, an art exhibit, book signing and CD release by Elizabeth Levensohn at Stardust Video.

This last one is of special significance to me . I have watched Elizabeth’s art evolve over decades, have learened a lot about meaningful work from her and am tremendously impressed by how she integrates art and music in this show. These paintings are all based on murder ballads from the 1920’s on up (when I think murder ballad I think Delia’s Gone by Johnny Cash though that's not one on the list). They're amazing: dark and archetypal but gentle and personal, too. Some of this is explained in the book.

But some of it is pure soul. 

Anyway, there are going to be lots of musicians including Madeline L. Potts, The Little Sadies, Andy Matchett and more...oh, and I'll be there. I hope to see you there, too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad