Bald-headed and hairless animals: my latest on NatGeo

I deft you not to fall in love with that face.

That's a red uakari monkey - looks kind of like an embarrassed costume character who came to work without his head piece one day, right? He's one of the remarkable creatures in Nature's Bald-Headed and Hairless Animals, my latest post on National Geographic.

 I always learn a lot from writing these pieces and one of my favorite parts of this one was getting to spend time studying and watching videos this fantastic little monkeys (and they are quite small) and their (and our) kin, the chimpanzees: the ones in this piece have alopecia, a type of hair loss that effects humans but is decidedly more noticeable in chimps, in whom we don't usually expect that kind of thing.

Enjoy the story and  when you're done there another must-click "Toad Eats Bat," by NatGeo's Christine Dell'Amore, certainly a candidate for Weirdest & Wildest pic of the month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad