Need a broader vocabulary? Absolutely



     “Yes, yes, yes!” is a large part of the dialog one hears in many adult films, and if my guess is correct, that cliché is largely drawn from real life. But what if writers, stars and the rest of us started getting more definite and trend in our affirmations and saying “Absolutely! Absolutely! Absolutely!”
         It speaks loudly about my little world that that’s the first thing I thought of when I read excellent story by John Blake from CNN, who is fed up to the back teeth of the word “Absolutely.” You hear it everywhere, he says (and the possible origins of this trend are pretty interesting) and it’s got to stop.
         Our tendency to work a word to death is the reason Lake Superior State University produces its Banished Words List every year, a confinement area for those terms it’s thoroughly sick of. “Green,” “maverick,” and “not so much” made this year’s list and both CNN and Lake Superior are looking for your comments so click the stories to contribute.
         As I writer I try to keep my phraseology as colorful as a cartoon. As a speaker, though, I’m guilty of everything being “amazing” and “awesome,” despite abundance of words available– splendid, fabulous, momentous, spectacular, stellar, spiffy, groovy, juicy, luscious, ginormous, excellent, terrific, exciting, thrilling, good, double plus good, extra good – to denote high quality. I’ll try to do better.
         This exercise, though, did make me realize my little world must be a good one if the only terms I overuse are such high-ranking superlatives. In fact that’s a……the bee’s knees.

Comments

  1. This reminds of an old joke: What do aethists cry out in orgasm?

    "Oh RANDOM!! Oh CHANCE!!"

    Heh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad