'Loo with a View': Best Men's Room Mural Ever

 If a man was pee shy to begin with and came face to…face…with this men’s room mural, chances are he wouldn’t be able to whiz in public again until about 2012:



The picture was sent to me by a girlfriend recently in an email with the story of the mural detailed. Thinking it was genius and wanting to share it, but suspicious that commercial art could ever be this witty, I thought I better look it up.
       Sure enough there was a snag. The mural is totally real. The story in the circulating email, however, seems to have gotten twisted up in a sort of internet version of “Telephone,” where the story of the picture has been passed around and changed over the years as related here on Hoax Slayers. The true story of the art work is that it was put up in the Sofitel Queenstown, New Zealand in 2005 and was designed by Perron Developments. Some men thought it was funny, some felt strange being ‘looked at’ and some were inspired to go to the gym. Though this 2005 story on the mural says it might be changed but I haven't found any follow-ups that says it has been (if anyone does know of a change, please let me know and I'll follow up).
       On one hand, I think this is so brilliant I wish Perron could design the whole world. On the other hand, if I were in the ladies room and looked over to see a photorealistic depiction of somebody peeping through a hole in the wall, I might not pee in a public bathroom until 2012 again either. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad