Louise Black is the new Black



       A few weeks ago I did a post mentioning Steampunk, an aesthetic combining Victorian, Edwardian, goth, burlesque, fetish, punk, the 1920’s and the Old West – actually, just ask yourself “Would Tim Burton dig it?” and if he would, it’s likely to be Steampunk. The most immediate example I can think of might be Johnny Depp as Ichabod Crane in Burton’s “Sleepy Hollow,” in his 1899 clothing sometimes accessorized with bizarre and fascinating detection devices he’s made himself (Steampunk also involves a lot of DIY and blending high tech with turn-of-the-18th-century style).
       Steampunk has become a fascination of mine and while casting about for Steampunk fashion photos I came across this spectacular corset which I think epitomizes the genre. Corsetry is a staple of the look and this piece is the most inventive example of that most alluring weapon in the fashion arsenal. It reminds me of something the macabre and elegant Edward Gorey might draw and while the skeletal image framed on the corset (a genuine Victorian lithograph) might seem to some to be a little dark I think it’s also an symbol of that Steampunk characteristic of stripping things down to the bare bones and elegantly repackaging. 
       So I’m blown away by this piece and realize the creator is none other than Louise Black, recently of Project Runway fame (check out her audition tape and interview here; I love that Delia Deiez from Beetlejuice is one of her inspirations). Louise’s 1920’s/noir style and pinpoint attention to detail made her strong and unique viewpoint one of the best parts of the season. You can see more of her on Etsy (where she lists several ways to keep up with her) and more views of that corset here; (photograph by John Ledeaux; modeled by Nixon Suicide.) Her Etsy page she’s no longer (or very, very rarely) taking orders for custom corsets, evidently due to huge order volume (no surprise there) but it’s great to know where to find her. Sometimes you’re just jonesing for that a Morticia-meets-Theda-Bara-meets –Dita-Von-Teese sensibility all tied up with laces and since that’s every day for me I’m happy I’ve found her. Good Luck, Louise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad