It's my birthday, dammit!




       Today is my 45th birthday which means I’m likely more than halfway done with my time here and I’m as merry-as-a-schoolboy to be able to say that middle age is so so so so so so so much better than you would ever imagined it to be. Whoever is in charge of PR for middle age should be fired and sent to live out their days in some pastoral nuthouse, because they have the wrongest view of anything since the Tea Baggers named themselves Tea Baggers and began “screaming their mind” (as someone put it on Facebook yesterday).
       No entertainment product can really explain the benefits of middle age. It’s this serene state of power you end up in when you’ve failed enough because you’ve tried A LOT and you worry less because you’ve seen how inconsequential most of your worries have been.
      Sex is better because you know more about it in every way - you know your body, you have a much better idea of what's out there and frankly you're too tired to bother with anything that you suspect might not be that great, whether it's with someone else or even with yourself.  This tremendous sense of cool improves your odds of satisfaction tremendously.  Getting dressed is better because you have forsaken fashion and acquired style. Work is infinitely better because you’re no longer always scared you’re doing everything wrong – now you’re only scared half the time. 
       And now you have friends who have outlasted lovers, jobs  dumb ideas and terrifying haircuts, who can say things like "I've known you for 30 years...you always do this," and make you laugh at the truthful mirror that only they can hold up to you. They're the best investment you'll ever make. 
       And though I know this blog is usually all about sex, passion and romance but this little video says it all in under two minutes. Whether they’re friends – or more than friends – this is what it’s all about. Happy My Birthday!:




If you would care to help keep the blogger in cake and champagne for the day donate here:


Comments

  1. Well I do enjoy touching myself quite a bit but that thing is starting to look 48.......unfortunately.

    Happy Birthday Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you made that post so that each of your friends who reads it thinks its about him (or her). :)

    All those women awww-ing gave me the laugh of the day. I'm surprised they didn't lable it "OTTER-ly romantic!" :)

    Hope you had a great birthday, and that you can come up here in the spring or summer and watch the otters holding hands in person in the Inner Harbour!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad