Liz story on Alternet: 9 Things People say when they hear you don't want kids





       When I was among the crowd of 4000 at theParliament House on Halloween weekend I found myself talking to a young woman who was sweet as a circus peanut and reality-show drunk. Out of nowhere she asks “Do you have children?”
      
       I’m so used to everyone knowing I’m usually a solo act that the question sounded bizarre to me, like she was a sleepwalker asking if the emu could give her change for a banana.
       But it was interesting that she asked because I was, at the time, in the middle of writing this piece I did for Alternet, "9 Silly Things People Say When They Hear You Don't Want Kids (and ways I've found to counter them) (and this is the first time I've been on the Reproductive Justice and Gender page, so I'm kinda proud) Funnily enough, when I told this drunk stranger I didn’t want them, she shrieked “WHY NOT?” like I had just gotten a bee in my underwear and stated my intention to never ever let it out.
       The decision about whether you need to give this world a spinoff or not is a highly personal one, so this was a very close-to-home piece. I’m certainly not knocking anyone’s choice to have them, just recently had to give some long, hard thought to whether I made the right choice.       
       I did.
       Enjoy!
PS: Best ad ever:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad