Liz on Alternet: Anti-Fur but Pro-Meat? A Carnist's Dilemma

One thing I know for sure about love is that if you don't step away from what you love once in awhile that you can grow weary of it and there are few worse feelings than looking at something that used to turn you on and thinking "Feh..."

I don't want to feel that way about my writing niche of sex and love, so, very luckily, I get to do projects that are out of my genre sometimes, like my interview with Dr. Melanie Joy on Alternet. I was having a moral dilemma over my disgust with fur farms and having trying to reconcile that with the fact that I'm a very avid omnivore - how can I really be that anti-fur and have no problem eating meat? And I'm an enthusiastic carnist. There are days when I feel like I could easily wander into one of the many pastures in Central Florida with a fork and a salt-shaker and having at one of the undoubtedly yummy cows out there.

I was mulling over this when I happened on Melanie's book "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows," a clever title for a book that doesn't bonk you over the head with ideology but simply presents the facts about "carnism," the culture of meat-eating. Her Carnism Awareness and Action Network is now up and both the book and the site are definitely worth a look.

There's nothing I love more than a story that opens up a dozen cans of worms and that's what this story did for me. On one hand it was very different from writing about sex an love - on the other hand it's still about flesh...so maybe I'm just substituting one appetite for another. In any case, it was intriguing, eye-opening and fun to work on. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad