Liz in Watermark: Mission: Transition; an interview with Gina Duncan

     I had never met a transgender person before I met Gina Duncan, at least not to my knowledge. Humans aren't peacocks, announcing their gender so definitively that you always know what's going on under their jeans, Dockers, pencil skirt or what have you. I was interviewing Gina for Watermark, about her 2007 gender transition and the first thing I noticed was that she was far more put together than I was. Granted, I had had a tough week, but we all have tough weeks, but you should never show up in Thornton Park looking like it.
     In  a society so glued to the status quo that it failed to adopt the metric system, changing things isn't always that easy and changing sexes is especially difficult, socially, psychologically and physically. Gina's approach to the extraordinary step she took - a modest-yet-ironclad determination to improve her life - is genuinely inspiring.
     So I hope you'll read and enjoy Mission: Transition / Creating a New Normal  along with Tom Dyer's Publisher's Perspective: Sadness and Strength, a powerfully moving view on how difficult and how crucial it is to cultivate -and to love - who you are. After all, if you were meant to be somebody else you would have been.
     Finally, if you're in Orlando pick up a, actual print copy of Watermark this week, all the better to enjoy the terrific photos by MK Photography Studios. I'm so used to online publishing now that having these wonderful photos, in hand, in person, felt like a treat from a bygone era. It made me nostalgic for the glory days of print - just like squinting at CD liner notes really makes you realize how awesome it was to have album cover art.
       Anyway, check it out and I hope you enjoy it!

Comments

  1. I was trying to estimate today's corporate executive salary for someone above 200 others from 48 branches. (My Dad was over 91 Engineers in the 1960s-70s & was paid about $70K by a Fed. Govt. Dept.) My guess for Gina's pay is ~~ $180K - $380K ?? (Since Gina "retired" from the corp., it would have been good to include the amount, but I understand the reasons for excluding it.) A bit further down the same column, Gina mentions others who become "destitute". That particularly grabbed My attention.
    I've always been interested in stories or the dispossessed. One of My favorite American Writers is Nelson Algren, whose novels and stories about the lower-caste people in Chicago, New Orleans, etc., are every bit as compelling [sometimes more so] as Fitzgerald's masterpieces of the gilded lives.
    Like You, a fervid imagination helps to sustain Me. People whose $$ resources don't approach Gina's, or aren't close to even mid-five-figures, could face circumstances even more desperate than the old "Dog Day Afternoon" story. Or, perhaps more likely, they never make the transition at all...
    Anyway, I read the article for 2 reasons:
    - Somewhat rare subject matter for O'do/CentFL &
    - You wrote it.

    Stay safe & watch out for bad drivers ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. TYPO: ..."stories OF the dispossessed"...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad