An excellent CF weekend

"I'd cut off my thumbs if I thought it was trendy," one of my friends once said to me and while I'm not quite that devoted I at least like to feel like I have an idea of what's in with the in crowd. Vampires are a trend I've been missing out on, surprisingly, too, because their dress sense, preference for the night and carnivorism are all things I approve of and share (except the dress sense).
     This weekend I got in on the Vampire's Ball, a production of the Orlando Ballet featuring vignettes choreographed by artistic director Robert Hill and I feel I've finally gotten the vampire fix I need. Twilight? Feh. This was so much better. The vignettes were engaging and surprising, the costumes were envy-inspiring and the dancers divine - how they do what they do is amazing enough (I don't think I've ever seen this many beautiful people outside of E! TV) but some of them did it in capes, no less - spectacular.
     I enjoyed so much I was kind of sad when it was over, like those people who went to see Avatar and then found real life to be a pretty tiresome by comparison. Hopefully Vampire's Ball will return next year - in the meantime at least there's one more week to enjoy every macabre thing Halloween has to offer.

       This past weekend I also got to hang out with the folks of Out N About Radio on 810 AM, hosted by Paul Karle, with Whitney Hogan, Randy Stephens of The Center and my pal Tom Dyer editor and publisher at Watermark Media and had a BLAST talking about my new book Crazy Little Thing: Why Love and Sex Drive Us Mad. It was an excellent show (and also featured Daniel Benavides, the lead vampire on the afore-drooled-about ballet) - the whole crew is great at balancing lightness and information on LGBT issues and the time just flew by - listen for them on Saturdays at 3pm!

     Finally on Friday night I made it to Slingapour's downtown for the Comedy Benefit for Kelly Fitzpatrick and I'm so glad I did. It was an excellent show - emcee Samuel Moore did an excellent job lining up a lot of local talent to honor Kelly. She was always such a joy to see and so supportive of the CF community - she's terribly missed and I'm glad I got to be there to be part of celebrating her memory.

     I was so happy to get to make some time this weekend to enjoy what was on offer in CF - and there's jus going to be more and more where that came from. I'm looking forward to it and I'll see you out there!

   


     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad