What's Hot in CF: Happy Anniversary to Me!



Everyone I know has too little time and even less money these days - it gives life a lot of ragged edges. No one ever feels done. Everyone’s back burners are overburdened. Nothing ever feels like it’s come full circle. 

But I was lucky this week - I got to see more than one thing come around to where it’s supposed to be. When I went to put together my segment What’s Hot in Central Florida on WMFE 90.7 FM I realized it was Pride Week: that was the first event I ever covered for the station last year, so happy anniversary to me! This week I talked about Come Out With Pride’s Pride Parade, Ivanhoe Village’s Pumpkinfest (I’m dying for one of their pumpkin martinis) and “The Queen and I” my very first play that opens at Parliament House’s Footlight Theater this week. So I’ve gone full circle at WMFE - and also from talking about the arts to being part of them. 
Like like Gary and Wyatt probably didn’t seriously expect to bring a woman life in Weird Science, I don’t think I really thought play-world would ever be real. I wrote the show two years ago when was sick and scared and writing about a funny, bitchy, powerful diva was a way out of that. It’s impossible to explain what it’s like to have something that’s been in your head for two years suddenly appear, bigger, funnier and bolder than you ever dreamed. It has though, thanks to the talents of  Elizabeth Murff,  Joshua Eads-Brown, Addison Taylor who have given these characters dimension I didn’t even see, our director Rob Ward, Parliament House’s entertainment director  Michael Wanzie and Doug Rhodehamel who made a Magic Mirror that really makes you feel like you’re looking into another world. Thanks also to United Arts for help in developing the show. It’s turned into an amazing event, a show about love, power and enough Halloween atmosphere to actually make it feel cool outside. Come and see it! And bring all your friends! We’ll be there every Saturday in October at 8pm.

While we’re on the subject you should also check out “Frankenshow” Doug Rhodehamel’s hideous-and-hilarious art show based on everyone’s favorite cadaver amalgam. That will be up at Stardust Video & Coffee from now through October, too. 
Anyway, have a great weekend, come see the shows and I hope you get to see some things come full circle in a happy, satisfying way, too. Happy October! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad