Carl Knickerbocker: Roadside Oveido

 It's not that I don't think Florida's back country is beautiful - it is beautiful,  gothically beautiful, with the sprawling, elegant live oaks, bright green with spring leaves and ghostly spanish moss reminding you not to let that spring brightness make you too comfortable - it's just that I hate getting lost in it, which I inevitably do. I need a GPS more than anyone you'll ever meet. I'm capable of getting lost in my 500 square foot apartment. Sober.

(Also people who live in Oviedo, FL might argue that it's not "back country" but I would argue that if you have a town in your vicinity called "Taintsville" because it 'tain't this city or that city, well, my dear....baby got back country.

And I did get lost in the Oviedo/Chuluota back country a couple of weeks ago so I was looking forward to going back like a lab rat who is afraid of hitting the lever that delivers the shock again.

Armed with Google Maps (printed) I was doing okay, but then I really lucked out: I passed an Adopt-a-Road sign with the wonderfully recognizable art of Carl Knickerbocker, filmmaker, artist, art car enthusiast and creator and all-round great guy to hang out with. Because I always see him out in Orlando, supporting his fellow artists at their events,  I tend to forget that Carl lives lives in Oviedo - except that he had (and may still have) a bumper sticker championing the Oviedo chickens, who, I understand, have the run of the city's downtown. 

It was a pretty spiffy surprise to see his work, not only in his environment but out in the environment that so many of his paintings evoke - so familiar, so funny, so Florida. It made me feel so at home that I don't think I'll ever fear going into the dark heart of Taintsville ever again. Thanks, Carl!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad