I want to go to there

This is not the face you want peering at you from your computer just before you go to sleep.
Which is why I'm still awake.

I've heard that the French have a word for "ugly-beautiful" and we officially need a word for "creepy beautiful," as of this photograph, taken by Shaul Schwarz and featured on National Geographic's front page today. It's part of a series of photos by Schwarz and Paul Micklin called "Underwater Secrets of the Maya," which mostly show stunning images of people visiting cinotes - limestone sinkholes - and other sites. The one above was taken at a theme park south of Cancun and the figure is "a mythic Maya lord of death," part of a ceremony honoring the goddess of fertility, hangin' with tourists.

A theme park? A theme park? I'm no adventure traveler - you'll never catch me scuba diving in some Mexican sinkhole or anything - but I'm perfectly capable of going to a theme park. And I want to go to one where this vision of seductive oblivion, this coquettish harvester of souls is their version of Tigger.

Well, it's someone in a catsuit, anyway.

I want to go to there. But I'm afraid the only time I'll ever see anything dressed like this is going to be at some fetish party in Tampa.

Oh death...somehow I knew you would look good in spandex....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad