Liz psyched for "Lizzie" and more on WMFE 90.7 FM

When your name is Elizabeth and you go by "Lizzie" as a child there's no way around it: you're going to get called Lizzie Borden. I did and I'm sure it didn't effect me at all. I'm sure it played not part in my being spellbound by tales of murder and insanity like the ones I wrote about in Crazy Little Thing: Why Love & Sex Drive Us Mad.  Nope. Didn't effect me at all.

Anyway, between sharing her name, the TV movie with Elizabeth Montgomery and the sing-song rhyme that declared her an axe murderess (Johnnie Cochran was right - those things stick) I've always been fascinated by stories of that particular Lizzie, so when I say I'm excited to see at Lizzie Borden - A New Musical at Theatre Downtown I don't mean maybe. Between the subject matter, the fact that it was by Michael Wanzie and Rich Charron and features a host of local talent it's all the promise of Halloween a full three months early.

If you want to continue the weirdness Charlie Carlson of Weird Florida presenting at the Hart Library is another bright spot in the weekend and not as weird but certainly theatrical, Orlando Shakespeare Theatre celebrates its 25th anniversary tomorrow. Check it all out on WMFE 90.7 FM today at 4:32 or click to hear my What's Hot in Central Florida broadcast right now (all the promise of 4:32 pm a full three hours early).


BONUS! This coming Thursday, August 29 at 7 pm the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Orlando, rider, writer and raconteur Gary McKechnie will be giving a talk and signing copies of his book Great American Motorcycle Tours (Fifth Edition). Gary is a terrifically witty speaker - you don't have to be a biker to get engaged by his stories, but if you are it's bound to be that much better. They say that talk is cheap....but this one is free...so whether you love a good road trip or just want to hear about some come check out this event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad