So, I think they can dance: NatGeo Dancing Animals


Have  I mentioned how much I love, love, love writing for National Geographic? 

I’ve been a freelance blogger with them for a few months and not only do I 
learn a lo but once in awhile I get a post that has me laughing, non stop, for minutes at a time. Such was the case with
It started with the peacock spider (right), who almost made it into a post about animals with two faces, their own and a false one, usually used to alarm predators. But the peacock spider is such a spiffy hoofer that it seemed a post on animals who dance floor was called. It wasn't easy finding them: what constitutes a dance, after all? Some people have posted video of fiddler crabs dancing but to me it looks less like a dance than a wave (still cool, though).

Then I saw it is the stupefying dance of the Superb Bird of Paradise:

How can something like this evolve? How is it’s funny false face so perfect? To those that would argue that a design like this signals a designer I would say then that designer should have known enough to hire a distributor because we need these everywhere! Why don’t the blue jays in my parking lot entertain me thus instead of just screaming and pooping on my car? Who designed them? Someone who doesn’t like me, obviously. 

At any rate, not only do I get to have fun at this job but I get to fall in love with someone new many times a week and this week it’s the guy above. The lady bird didn’t dig him…sigh….there’s no pleasing some birds….but everyone else in the world will. And he’ll never even know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Buy my book: Crazy Little Thing: How Love and Sex Drive Us Mad