New species of fuzzy daisy and other furry flora

I love when I get to do a NatGeo post somehow based on something I find in (or near) my own backyard.

It happened with "Singing Penis, Hearing Feet: Animals that Repurpose Body Parts," when my Chief Science Officer, Doug Rhodehamel, discovered a water scorpion in our friends' pool and he explained how they breathe through a syphon in their tail. And it happened recently with the story New species of daisy and other fuzzy flora.

That's the daisy in the upper left, discovered in the Venezuelan Andes very recently and a click on the story will give you the skinny on its environment and why it's so fuzzy (and also why it looks a little downcast. It's not. That's just the way the face faces, but it's actually quite a pretty reddish orange color, like a blazing sunset or a dark colored sunflower). The other flora in the story, fuzzy plants from all over the world, had a more domestic start.

On the right you'll see something I thought was a Halloween decoration belonging to my neighbor. I walked by it twice before taking a closer look at what I took to be fake spider legs sticking out of the flower pot but are actually very real rhizomes, sort-of above-ground roots of the Rabbit's Foot Fern, a plant people actually have in their homes without screaming every time they look at it.

Between the new discovery of the daisy for the whole world and the new discovery of the rabbit's foot fern for me it turned into a nice story covering lots of lovely and surprising flora.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Drumpf Scare: Why I Worry About the Drumpf Signs I DON'T See