Sweet find: Five Fx Ice Cream and Sweet Cake at Waterford Lakes, Orlando

I cheated…and it was fabulous. I only wish the temptation was closer so I could do it more often.

The site of my straying was Five Fx Ice Cream and Sweet Cake is a family run business out at Waterford Lakes, Orlando, well worth the travel time dissolve into the cool, creamy goodness of their Asian-style ice cream. Mix-in ice cream was a 90’s trend but Five Fx puts a fresh, delightful spin on it, making the ice cream to order right in front of you (check out how on YouTube). 

(left: Lychee ice cream with white chocolate & mochi with pumpkin taiyaki)

Foodies, vegetarians and dieters will love that you can get whole, almond, soy or nonfat milk ice cream with just about any mix-in you can imagine in traditional and non-traditional flavors.

We tried lychee ice cream with white chocolate chips and mochi, (a Japanese sweet rice
cake that looks like gum drops). It was so good - rich flavor but surprisingly light texture - that I completely forgot to get engrossed in the KPop that runs on TV there all the time (and which is what had lured me out here in the first place).

Then there was the taiyaki, a fish-shaped sweet cake with fillings like Nutella, Red Bean, Strawberries and cream or savory eggs, bacon and cheese. And pumpkin.

This is where the cheating comes in. 

(Right: Bright colors and cool stuff painted on the wall like these wings)

It wasn’t dietary cheating. it was seasonal cheating. Normally I abstain from pumpkin, one of my favorite things in the world, until at least October 1st. Pumpkin, as I’ve stated before, is the welcome bellwether of autumn. Sometimes its appearance in products from coffee to air fresheners is the only indication we Floridians get that the season has changed. It’s worth waiting for.

But c’mon…a fish shaped waffle full of pumpkin? I’m not made of iron. What if something happened to me and I never had this opportunity again? 
The pumpkin taiyaki turned out to be a little handful of heaven, especially having the warm, freshly made dessert with the delicious ice cream. Who says you can’t have it all?

(Right: I'm the lesser angel so Doug got the bigger wings)


So, I cheated and I’d do it again. I just wish Five fx was closer to my house (Mills-50 guys, in case you’re thinking of opening another place). Like Oscar Wilde said, the only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. The closer it is, the better. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Drumpf Scare: Why I Worry About the Drumpf Signs I DON'T See