Of the "10 Ways to Spot an American Abroad" I'm guilty on six counts. Supersize me.

As the thermometer in Florida begins to flirt with the 80-degree (26.6 c) mark in February the one thing making the impending sweat-lodge summer atmosphere bearable is that there are trips to northerly climes in my future. Knowing this I've been watching travel stories with greater interest and was horrified to realize that in alot's story on "10 Ways to Spot an American Abroad," story I've been undeniably guilty of six of them.

Not that I mind being spotted as American (in most places) but the image of the American tourist is a vulgarian no one wants to be seen as. Traits of this character - the ones on the list I'm not guilty of - are loudness, not knowing the customs, trying to imitate accents or wearing a fanny pack, which I thought had been banned since 1993. And all the other things on the list I do at home, too, including drink too much, join in applause for any reason (a smooth landing, a good movie), talk to strangers (you are known as a non-New Yorker for doing that, too), having an accent ) and tipping (a surprisingly hard habit to break).

The last thing is "go to McDonalds," and yes, I go to McDonald's in other states and
countries. Of course I try as much real regional food as I can but it's interesting to see what's on the menu at fast food restaurants elsewhere, from lobster rolls in Maine to beer in Berlin to veggie burgers in Britain. Had I not gone into a BK in the UK I'd never have known the inexplicable invention of "baked bean dippers," curious concoctions like french fries or mozzarella sticks, but with smushed baked bean innards, because, I guess, if you can put a food into deep-fried stick form you should. Everyone else must have thought the same thing of them I did because baked bean dippers are the only thing that's ever existed you can't find a picture of on the internet.  (McLobster Roll image from SnaxTime)

Admittedly going into an American fast food outlet in other countries is embarrassing because everyone takes you for a tourist wussing out and resorting to American fast food. Little do they know traveling is the only time I eat fast food. Whether I'm in Georgia or Quebec it's  just another part of the adventure. If life goes as planned one day I'll try this  depressing looking goth burger in a Japanese Burger King. See? You'll do things on the road you wouldn't do at home in a million years. (Black eggplant burger pic from Business Insider)

***

(Actually the London Evening Standard reports that these avocado muffins are being tried out in McDonald's in Japan. If they had these here I might break my own rules once in awhile. )






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at the Races

Say Ahhhhh: Drive-Thru Pap Smears in the COVID era

Drumpf Scare: Why I Worry About the Drumpf Signs I DON'T See